Laser Hair Removal- How to Prepare
Before booking a laser hair removal treatment, It is recommended to schedule a consultation with the Technician to determine if this is an appropriate treatment option for you.
Your Technician will do the following:
- Review your medical history, including medication use, history of skin disorders or scarring, and past hair removal procedures
- Discuss risks, benefits and expectations, including what laser hair removal can and can’t do for you.
- Before and After pictures (to review the process)
At the consultation, discuss a treatment plan and related costs. Laser hair removal is usually an out-of-pocket expense. The Technician will also offer specific instructions to prepare for laser hair removal.
These might include:
- Staying out of the sun- avoiding sun exposure before and after treatment.
- Lightening your skin- avoid any sunless skin creams that darken your skin, and use of tanning beds or spray tans
- Avoid other hair removal methods- Plucking, waxing and electrolysis can disturb the hair follicle and should be avoided at least four weeks before treatment.
- Avoiding blood-thinning medications- such as aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs, avoid before the procedure.
- Shaving treatment area- Trimming and shaving is recommended the day before laser treatment. It removes hair above the skin that can result in surface skin damage from burnt hairs, but it leaves the hair shaft intact below the surface.
Written By: Amber K